This grounding exercise is really helpful if you’re anxious or feeling overwhelmed by life. It can be used to keep you alert, to return to the present after some fantasy or imaging, or as a way of dealing with negative experiences.
Sit upright in a supportive chair, and take a few deep breaths.
- Become aware of the soles of your feet in contact with the floor.
- Guide your attention to the chair, feel it touching your body.
- Tell yourself, ‘I am safe, and no harm is happening to me’.
- Become aware of what you hear around you, continuing to feel your feet in contact with the floor.
- Become aware of what you see around you that is pleasant and interesting.
- Remind yourself that you are safe, and stay aware of your feet on the ground.
Now, move your focus to what is happening in your body. Remain aware of your feet on the ground, and remind yourself that you are safe.
- Become aware of any tension in your body.
- Become aware of any emotions related to that tension.
- Still feel the soles of your feet on the ground, remember you are safe.
Finally, move your awareness to the most relaxed place in your body and remain in your chair for as long as you need. You then might like to move into a more comfortable place and listen to some relaxing music.
Note: Breathing apps can also be helpful, see here.